Newlyn is one of the largest fishing ports in the UK and lies adjacent to some of the richest fishing grounds in the Northern Hemisphere. The iconic harbour is the fulcrum of Cornwall’s fishing industry and they aspire for it to become the UK’s leading port, which is why we are transforming Newlyn Harbour to provide state of the art facilities, services and expertise that support the development and sustainability of the fishing industry.
ProjectLink were asked by the Harbour Commissioners to undertake the complete refurbishment of the existing fish market, which was an uninsulated industrial unit that had been in operation since 1985.
This £1.3M refurbishment project, is being undertaken in two phases and will deliver the spectrum of modern services, including a fully refrigerated and competitive selling platform that the fishing industry require for the future growth of the industry in Cornwall.
What We Did
- Local Authority Building Control, Building Regs approval.
- Removal of existing cement fibre roof and replace with new insulated composite panels.
- New offices and welfare areas.
- Fully insulated hygienic lining to the interior of the building
- Full temperature control of fish market
- Specialist floor coating
- LED Lighting and electrical replacement
- New extension with level loading dock facilities
What They Said
Effective planning has been key to the continued success of the refurbishment project, as the fish market and port always must remain fully operational. ProjectLink work closely with the harbour team to provide thorough and effective management of the ongoing works, ensuring quality, safety, programme and costs are always under control. We continue to be very happy with the service we receive and are continuing with their services for phase 2 of the project.
Rob Parsons, Harbour Master at Newlyn